top of page

Old Rekem

Here you will find some fun water activities, slide the links you will find extra information

oud rekem.jfif

It is not for nothing that Oud-Rekem was named the Most Beautiful Village in Flanders. There are many places of interest and the most important can be found here. 


plan oud rekem.jpg

1. Museum Church – Info
The church, built in 1704, was the parish church of Saint Peter until 1956. From 1970 it has been recognized as a museum church.

Herein is a info office of Tourisme accommodated. It is open daily from April to September from 1 pm to 5 pm.

2. Green space with platform
The central square of Oud-Rekem. It used to be a lawn where ladies could bleach their laundry (hence the second name: de Bleek/de Bleick).
In the center is a platform, crowned by a lion with the coat of arms of the D'Aspremont-Lynden family. Symbol of county independence and former pillory.

3. Herring School (private)
Residential house, used during the war as a school that was much too small. 

4. In the Bleick: Museum Pharmacy
This museum contains materials from the pharmacy and doctor's practice of the doctors Humblé from the years 1900-1970.
(Only open for special occasions)

5. Gatehouse
This gatehouse from 1905 replaced the old building; it was built during the redevelopment of the castle as a psychiatric center. 

Today the building is used as a restaurant and interior store. 

6. Picture the Reckheimer
Image by Julia Berger (2009): symbolizes a neutral person from Rekem, in which the rich history of the village is interwoven. 

7. Castle d'Aspremont-Lynden
On the ruins of a medieval fortress, this castle was founded in 1957 in the Maasland renaissance style. It served as a count's castle for about 200 years. After that it was mainly given social functions, such as the 'insanity asylum' (from 1921 to 1980). (visit possible) 

Lies here more about the castle.

8. Old Court of Justice
In the count's period this building was the Schepenbank, where justice was administered. 

The original structure of the building is still preserved and you can go there to eat. 

9. Old Town Hall (private)
Former town hall from 1963, with the former primary boys' school from 1872 to 1928 at the back.

10. Ucover Gate (Old God)
The only remaining Stadspoort, also called Maaspoort. Built in 1630; the gatekeeper's house is also part of it. There was a drawbridge. 

Currently restaurant Soto by OG housed there. 

11. Drossaard House
This former home of the head of the court also dates from 1630 and is Rekem's oldest residence. 

12. Post House
House and stables for the coachmen, the stagecoach and the horses of the Rekems post office. 

13. Tannery and Count's Dog Stable (private)
Especially the stepped gables of the associated house stand out. 

14. Urban Farm (Private)
Mansion from 1783 with French style facade (with pediment and rocomotives). The courtyard gives access to the farm area.

15. The Roman Emperor
Rentmeerster's home, which was expanded into the Roman Emperor's hotel. From 1900 to 1997 in the possession of the medical family Humblé. 

16. Picture the Brikkebekker
Reference to a typical craft of Rekem, the brick and other baker.

17. House the Corner (private)
Former bastion and corner house in the town's defensive walls (1637)

18. Old ramparts and bastion
Walls, bastions and water canals were part of the city walls, constructed between 1630 and 1638. Still visible in various places. 

The old ramparts are also visible from the Aan Wal terrace. Recently, the wall was in the media a lot, as a hole was made in it for a new construction project. 

19. Maasland house (private)
Typical old Maasland house with a low door and small windows (18th century)

20. Paterskerk (+ statue) – Pianos Maene
Former Friars Minor Church (Franciscans) from 1710; until 2004 Friars Minor stayed here; since 2017 restored and furnished as a piano experience center van Pianos Maene (visit possible)

21. Senden and Borrelmenneke distillery
In 1891 Frans Senden started selling wine and composing and distilling his own drinks. The business was continued by his family until 1958. Everything was perfectly preserved: copper kettles, corking machines, bottles with extracetn, etc. 

Click here for more info. 

22. Buildings of the former 'Association' (private)
From 1910 to 1920, most buildings were erected here to function in the 'insanity asylum': atliers, accommodation rooms, isolation cells, hospital…

23. The Old Weerd
Natural landscape with meadows and orchards around an old abandoned Maasarm. 

Here you will find a nice walking route.

bottom of page